How do I transfer our VSS Account Administrator to another user?

You will want to send an email to the VSS Support Center ( with the following information requesting to have a VSS Administrative Reset.

    1. Federal Tax ID
    2. Business Legal Name
    3. Name of Previous Employee Name

Once we have verified your company information, we will process your VSS Administrative Reset request. Upon completion, we will send instructions to create new login credentials to your existing account.